Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Being Nice To A Fault

I find myself in a horrible situation lately; I am nice to a fault. I know, you don't believe one word of it! It may stem from my severe dislike of confrentation and the uncomfortable feelings involved with it. I don't like hurting others feelings, nor do I take pride in pointing out their faults, which may be part of my discomfort in being direct sometimes. I have, at times, gone to great lengths and expense to not point out a fault in order to keep a friendship. Even worse, it has been a complete waste of time and energy to keep what I thought was a frienship and lose my self respect for not speaking up. I have suffered abuse in many forms for the sake of being nice to others. You too? I've lost money, been bossed around by ungrateful kids, been unfriended on "Facebook", and even verbally dismissed. Don't get me wrong, I DO stand up for myself on many more occasions, usually where a friendship is not involved, though. My dear, sweet husband, Paul, thinks I'm a bit 'stupid' for allowing others to walk all over me and has recently been the witness of my latest bout of 'niceness'. He gave me his take on what I did wrong and how to avoid it the next time it comes up...and YES, it will come up again in the near future. I have vowed not to let it happen again...until it happens again.

2 comments:

  1. I don't remember calling you stupid. I'm sorry if I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a doormat. Totally and completely. Daniel (and most of my other friends) tell me I always see and hope for the best in others and it causes me to be taken advantage of......they are so right. But I can't imagine NOT hoping for the best - when I try to be realistic I get a bit depressed! hahahahah!

    ReplyDelete