Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Letter of the Law Vs Spirit of the Law

Sometimes we are placed in circumstances that we never thought would be in and we learn lessons that can only be taught to us by The Master Himself. Last night was one of those instances.

I tend to be the type of person who is flexible in my teaching/leading methods. I like variety and I understand that life can be unpredictable...for better or for worse. I respect the need for structure in life and at times even crave it in my own life. What I do not understand is how some people can become so structured and inflexible that they allow those around them to suffer uselessly from what I see as their own selfishness.

I had an instance last night where I allowed myself to become angry with someone so rigid that it made me question their devotion to God and his children. My anger stemmed from my own desire for that person to be more giving and accepting of others; obviously something that person is not willing nor wanting to be. And that right there is what I have to accept.

Just because I believe in following the Spirit of the Law does not mean this person will do it also. I believe in giving 110% of myself at all times, going the extra mile, and being in tune with the Lord that when he whispers "go visit so-and-so" I do it without asking why. I believe that nurturing the rising generation of our youth is more than a "twice monthly only" obligation and that when they have questions, I'm there to help them find the answer. My love has no limits, which gets me in trouble sometimes when my heart gets broken, but I always feel it was worth the effort.

As I went to bed late last night (after cooling off from the confrontation I had with that person), I pleaded with the Lord in my prayers to help me gain some sort of understanding. Why or how could someone accept the calling to be the leader of a group of sweet young girls be so blinded by her own personal agenda and selfish limitations? Does she not understand that this calling from the Lord may require more than a 1.5 hour obligation every 1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month? According to her, it does not.

The Lord, in His infinite wisdom, did not leave me answerless to my prayer. The answer was acceptance that she was placed in this calling to learn something but it may not be me who will teach her that.

Lesson learned: "Yea, some will follow the 'Letter of the Law' whilst others will follow the 'Spirit of the Law', and both are necessary to fulfil the 'Law of God'."

No comments:

Post a Comment